Where to stay in Tokyo – the b Ochanomizu
Tokyo has many hotels. I mean ‘MANY’ hotels, but due to a budget constraint, I usually stay in business hotels. Not sure if anyone stayed in business hotels before, but it’s basically pretty small space with a clean bathroom and internet.
My boyfriend and I decided to stay in ‘the b Ochanomizu’ mainly because of the location. It was close to my sister’s place but we liked this hotel and we may stay there again.
Location, Location, Location
This hotel is located in Awajicho. Hotel name is ‘Ochanomizu’ (I picked this hotel simply because I thought it’s in Ochanomizu), but it’s closer to Awajicho subway station. From Ochanomizu station, it’s about 12 min walk while from Awajicho station, it’s less than 1 min. The hotel was easy to find and the location was really convenient. You get off via A5 exit of Marumouchi Line (Red Line) and you’ll see ‘Tully’s Coffee’. Standing Tully’s Coffee on your right, you walk up about 20m and you will find a Music store. Once you’re near the music store, you will find the hotel, behind the main street.
Awajicho station has 3 subway lines (Green, Red and Shinjuku line) and it’s a walking distance to Akihabara (electronic shops area) and JR line is available in Akihabara station. It was convenient to go to Tokyo station, Ginza, Roppongi, Shibuya and Omotesando and pretty much major areas.
For Japanese hotels, we should assume that the rooms are really small. Some hotel rooms I find suffocating. We booked ‘Economy Double Room’ and it’s 15 sqm and bed width was 140 cm. Here are the room photos.
This pic is out of focus, but I wanted to show how little the closet space was. My luggage did not fit in.
It looked like pants/shirts presser for business travelers. We never used it.
This little kettle was cute and useful, but it took longer time than electronic kettle.
Breakfast was included in our package so one morning, we decided to try. It was western style, comes with Coffee, egg, bread, salad, orange juice, etc. It was not bad but we didn’t enjoy that much. It was just basic, nothing much.
Wireless internet was free in the lobby area and you need to ask for the password at the reception. There’s one laptop in lobby area you can use for free,too. In room, LAN internet access is available as long as you bring your laptop. Wireless internet access was not available in room, but I managed to use wireless internet via my boyfriend’s laptop.
Many times I encountered difficulty in communication while traveling Japan, this time was not that bad. The staffs were friendly and their English is good. I asked for the direction to go to Akihabara, and the staff explained in English along with English-written area map, which was really helpful. The service in general was good.
What I liked
- Location : It was convenient to go around major popular places in Tokyo.
- Value for Money: It was reasonably priced for the good location. Zuji package was good! Check out the latest price! ZUJI Singapore
- Hot shower : It was cold while we were there and we loved the hot shower in the bathroom everyday. I ended up spending 20 min under hot shower almost everyday.
- Convenient stores nearby : There were couple of convenient stores nearby and it was good to take a walk at night to get some food at convenient stores.
What I didn’t like
- Breakfast : It was just basic.
- Room size: It was small size room, compared to hotels in other countries. But it’s an average size in Japan hotels.
Will I go back?
I don’t mind.
Check out the room rate or Travel Package!
- Zuji.com : ZUJI Singapore
- Agoda.com : the B Ochanomizu
- Booking.com : Booking.com
- Hotel’s website: For more photos and direct reservation. Check out other ‘the b’ hotels in Tokyo, too!